Thursday, July 05, 2007

Left, Right, Left!!!

While reading Lefty's blog a few days back, I realised that we both shared something: our interest in sports. Just quiz me on any sport, be it the Rolland Garros(Long live the French), else even obscure sports like Shin Wrestling(played in the English countryside) or Elephant Polo(played in Thailand), and pat, you will have an answer. But while selecting a team, I am the last person one should place their bet on. In school, I abhorred the physical education examinations. I couldn't even outrun a snail( if a snail agreed to compete against me). When I reached college, I was informed that we had the best sporting facilities in the country. Like this was the golden chance for which I was waiting. I still can't understand why people torture themselves, in order to sweat it out. Even entering the UGES gives me the creeps, seeing people play so many games. And believe me, Foosball looks good, only when Joey and Chandler play it.
But this does not mean that I have not had my moment of sporting glory. When I was elected the captain of my house, in school, the one thing which really worried me, was the Sports Day. Normally, I would have abstained from taking part in such mundane activities. But "With Great Power, comes Great Responsibility". I had to lead my squadron in the march past competition. I thought, all I needed to do was to walk and shout orders. I could do both, so it should be a piece of cake. Albeit a few minor hiccups, my long hours of shouting, did pay off. I was highly complimented on my skills and our squadron did win some prizes.
After that, I hung up my boots and did not further exploit my sporting prowess. One may wonder, why? But it is my belief that one should gracefully retire at one's peak time. Else he is capable of being mocked at. Till the day, when I again get the right platform to showcase my talents, May My Boots Rest in Peace!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You have have lot of hidden talents. Try to bringout whenever you get a chance

Shrey said...

nice...me too gave up house captain-ship coz of a similar reason...the March Past.
And m gonna make u run some day :P

Saagar said...

Marching, eh? Reminds me of...
Damn, it reminds me of my NCC days!
And Shrey, let me know when the run takes place. I'll also watch.

Proxy said...

Ahh... the good old March Past Days... don't tell me you went thru it just during the Sports' Day time... wat bout the investiture ceremony?? So... Ms. Ruby House Captain... I bet the event mentioned wasn't the only time, but I am not sure bout not being able to see geared up in your boots and running!

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm.... house captain?!?! thank god i wasnt in ur skool/house....nice post, newayz

Amul said...

Hmm.. Sri, i saw u participating in our fresher's meet. SO, was that the day, u tried to consummate :P

Unknown said...

Correction: Foosball looks good only when Monica and Rachel are playing it.