Monday, June 18, 2007

Thank You God!

Another Sunday, a day to laze and do nothing (as if I do a lot). As I lay in bed, deciding how to spend time, my dad came and told me that there was an exam that day and a visually handicapped person was appearing in it. So they needed a scribe. He asked me if I was willing to take up the job. I thought for a while, and since there was no good movie to watch, I said yes.
I reached the exam centre and roamed around. When I told the people there as to why I had come, they all smiled. I was informed that no visually handicapped person had ever appeared for the exam and so I could just sit back and relax.
I sat down in the control room with a book. Suddenly the chief examiner told me that the candidate had arrived. So I marched into the room and sat down beside him. The man was in his late 20s and he was a teacher. He had a very high power in his eyes and he could just see the outlines of objects. He told me that his subject was mathematics and he had read everything through audio medium.
The first paper was objective. As I read out the questions, I could see him concentrating hard. I felt helpless as I saw him solve mathematics questions in his mind. It was a tedious procedure. I had to read out each question a number of times for him.
And then I realized that he had actually given his whole future in my hands. I had just come here, as I was a free. But he had come all the way from another city to write this exam, which would ascertain his whole career. If I did not put in effort to read the problems in the proper way, then he would be unable to solve them. With this thought, I resumed my work with increased effort.
The second paper was subjective which was even more difficult. I noticed that he solved only those questions where you were required to prove something. I understood that the questions, in which some value was supposed to be found, were obviously difficult for him.
At the end of the paper, he thanked me for being a good scribe. On hearing this, I felt happy. I thanked God for giving me the opportunity to help that person. The person’s determination inspired me. It was a learning experience for me.

I was reminded of these lines:
I complained that I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet.

11 comments:

piyush said...

that was real nice of you to offer to be a scribe...i am sure that man will remember ur effort..and definitely a nice experience..let me know if u do something like this next time will ta along!!! even i dont have any movies ;)

himanshu yadav said...

hey well done...gud job
it really feels great after doin such a thing.
we can say we have a philanthropist in meta

Shrey said...

Touching experience and description...and nice work too!
So you were the light of someone's eyes, I bet Lights section would like to boast about it ;)
And, would 'mentally unabled' suffice as a reason to get a scribe for my next end terms ?

Saagar said...

really nice post. very moving. extremely good of you to do what you did. In the end, it's only days as these that one remembers when one looks back. I wish I could do something like that too.

And did you solve some questions yourself and write down the answer also? :-)

Amul said...

Brilliant.
Gud work 4 a gud cause.

Proxy said...

Though you told me all this earlier as well... but I still couldn't help reading all about it again! Really good work and yeah... I'm proud of you DON!

Withered said...

Now there's another reason why you are called Good Girl! And don't tell me you free only on Sundays.

Suren said...

hey it was great..
really touching experience and equally befitting description..
gud job

Ramji said...

hey, am sure moments like these will be remembered forever. Am glad you had the opportunity...

Tarun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tarun said...

nice job philanthropist, really moving..as xpected frm u(mite hv been not if som1 else has written it):D
dat proved tht metal-RGY has got some soft part too ;-)

hats off to u DUDE..