Sunday, May 27, 2007

15 Seconds Of Fame

Picture this scene- A couple take part in a reality show in which they have to stay separately for a week with other singles. When they meet after a week, the husband tells of his undying love for his wife. The wife, on the other hand, has second thoughts and tells her perplexed husband that she has found someone else. And she leaves.
Not to worry, this is just the starting scene of “The Stepford Wives”. But still with the advent of reality shows, I think that such days are not far away.
I am nowadays sitting at home, and with nothing better to do, my constant companion is the idiot box. I have come across some unusual concept shows, which force me to think about their consequences. Some of them are:
Wife Swap: Two wives swap their dysfunctional families for two weeks and try to bring about certain changes (for better or for worse) in their new residences. I wonder as to what would happen if the wife returns and the family feel that the new wife was better or vice versa.
Monster House: A family hands over its cherished house to the crew, which tears it apart and presents it back in a new refurnished format. What would happen if one does not like this renovation? Would they get back their cherished abode?
What not to wear? : This is my personal favourite. Women hand over their wardrobes to two stylists, who show no mercy as they restyle everything. The end product is something, which everyone may not appreciate.
These and many other shows, force me to question their very basis. Just a single thought comes to my mind- Is the 15 seconds (minutes) of fame worth all this effort?

1 comment:

Saagar said...

Try Takeshi's Castle on Pogo.
Senseless, but brilliant.