Monday, June 04, 2007

Right To Equality!

I have always believed in the equality of men and women. What a man can do, so can a woman and vice versa. And finally, the world is also realising this(especially the vice versa part).
Yesterday, as I sat and watched the idiot box(not again, you may say), my attention was caught by an advertisement. The product being endorsed was a men's sunscreen lotion. The model was shown riding a motorcycle and then applying the lotion, while a voice in the background informed us about the 5 superb effects of the lotion, and so on and so forth.
I almost did a somersault on seeing this. Men have, at last, come of age and are acceptng that they also wish (and need) to groom themselves. Countless other products have also hit the market shelves like fairness creams and shampoos which are exclusively for men. Women, it is time to be cautious. Men have also entered the arena and are enjoying it!
But I must say, that even I ( a campaigner for equality) had a heart attack, when in my first year, i saw with my very own eyes,the numerous beauty products which guys used( Shehnaz herbal creams, L'Oreal shampoos and the odd ones even owned lip gloss!) Gradually, news started trickling in about their grooming expenses which left us bewildered. And the last nail in the coffin was driven, when one of my classmates shared his acne troubles with me and suggested remedies to cure mine( and they worked!)
So, I have accepted that boys are no longer boys. They have treaded into the so-called female do main and are loving it. Right now, the trend has gained only limited acceptance, but will soon be the In-Thing. I don't like the term metrosexual, so all I would say is, Welcome, To the New Age Man.

6 comments:

Saagar said...

"What a man ca do, so can a woman"? What about shaving commercials? And Who's acne man?
Very insight-giving post.

Shrey said...

I believe more in knowing the differences and dealing with them. Men and women have different predispositions to different things, but yes, they are rapidly learning to compensate for them.

Withered said...

It would be wise to note that the number of 'New age men' is still very small, and they certainly don't include the comment posters on this blog.....well, I'll make an exception for Lefty. I have no idea about his tastes.

PK Talli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PK Talli said...

Ooops, sry abt deleting the comment, what i was going to say was how does this fit in with your gtalk message'Each man for Himself'

Proxy said...

Hmmm amusing it may seem, the idea of the New Age Man still holds with a minority section of the Not-So-Fairer Sex!! But... yeah I would myself have done the somersault, had I not been sitting in mah Dad's office!