Saturday, January 12, 2008

Fear of the Dark

Iron Maiden sang this song expressing their fear of the dark and the unknown. We all suffer from some or the other fear...there are some things which scare us out of our wits. These fears may cause ordinary persons to put up their best resistances in order to avoid them.
I suffer from one such fear. The thing that I am afraid to do, is generally enjoyed by all. I have a phobia of writing on the blackboard. Coax me, cajole me, but my hand will not touch a chalk piece. I have no idea where this fear stems from, but it is deeply ingrained in my system.
While in school, I abhorred teachers who asked us to write on the board. Students became monitors, specifically because they could legally write names on the board. When I became the monitor, I never wrote names on the blackboard and so was generally liked by the students. You may say I have proper etiquettes and did not like to show my back to the audience. The very few times I was actually face to face with the monstrous black board, I felt a hundred pair of eyes boring into my back. I could feel the pressure and the tension in the air. It is laudable that I even managed to write an alphabet. So I came up with a thousand and one reasons of not writing including "I suffer from chalk dust allergy" and the less used "My hands will become rough".
You will be wondering why I suddenly thought about enlightening you about my syndrome. It so happened that today in my GD class I suggested a brilliant topic. The prof asked me to write the same on the board and there I developed cold feet. I looked to my side and asked the next person to come to my rescue, which he very unsympathetically refused to do so. The tension was mounting, my classmates were looking at me and waiting for me to get up and complete this "simple" task, but I sat glued to my chair. I again asked my neighbor, and he looked at me blankly without understanding my anguish. The prof then said to him-"write it down, she is short and will not be able to reach that height." I let that rebuke pass, but I would like to tell him that I am as tall as an average Indian woman. The guy got up and wrote and I heaved a sigh of relief. I wonder what I would have done if I had been pressurised even once more-probably I would have left the class(yes, I am paranoid) or may have feigned a cough.
After reading this you may be rolling on the floor with laughter, but it sure is a big thing for me.

3 comments:

life's like that said...

so... i guessed it long back... actually to tell u the truth the funny part is that i used to really think that u really had an allergy!!! anyway... i m not rolling with laughter for reasons u already are aware of... ;)
nice one... brave of u to accept the truth :)

Withered said...

First of all, the poor fiery boy was pretty bemused when you asked him to chalk it down. Hardly unsympathetic. Anyway, he couldn't have sympathized with you without knowing the facts. Secondly, you are short, even by Indian standards.

The time for requests is past....remove that link from your blog page. ASAP.

Proxy said...

Good... I just love you for this... it does take a lot of courage to accept your fears in public... and in your case, your stupid or not-so-stupid phobia of a simple thing!

Dontcha worry... you the one who is high enough as an average India woman... would probably never get a chance anymore to write on Black Board!