Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Driving Lessons

After sitting at home,doing nothing for a month,my mom decided it was high time that i learn something. From the various options put in front of me,i chose to take up driving. I looked up the newspaper and phoned the driving school. A voice at the other end said "classes will begin tomorrow morning at 7".
Now i must tell you that i enjoy my sleep. But since i had enrolled for a driving lesson, I had to get up at 6 which i haven't done for quite a long time. I got ready and waited sleepily for my instructor to come and pick me up.
She reached at sharp 7 and then i was made to seat in the back seat as another girl of my age was driving. My turn came at last and she gave me a basic run through of all the mechanisms involved.
I have tried my hand(and feet) at driving before. The main problem which i encounter is leaving the clutch and pressing the accelerator at the same time.Once while driving, i left the clutch so suddenly that the car started doing a break dance and a poor onlooker almost fell down. That put an end to my passion for driving.
I must confess that i have a poor hand eye coordination. It took me years of effort and a lot of scolding on my brother's part to learn to ride a bicycle. So how could this lady expect me to start driving on the main road at that very instant. I remembered all the Gods present in Hindu Mythology and asked them to help me.
But it did not go as bad as i expected. This was mainly because my instructor was partially driving the car(she was managing the clutch and accelerator,I was just steering around).
Half an hour later,she dropped me back. I felt proud of my acheivement.
Six days have passed since i started driving and i must inform you all that i have surpassed even my own expectations. I can now drive a bit(at least my dad complimented me).
Hope this good feat continues.

No comments: